Tomorrow is officially the first day of summer! As self-proclaimed experts on the summer in Philly, we know the best ways for you to get the most out of your time in the city this season. Here is a list of 10 things worth putting on your Philly to-do list (in no particular order):
- Play mini golf at The Porch on 30th Street Station. It’s free! Why not? This year, it is only the month of June, so get there before it’s gone. Just make sure you bring your “A” Game 😉 If you miss it, check HERE for plenty of other events to enjoy at The Porch.
- Learn to Row/Paddle on Boathouse Row. Philadelphia Access to Rowing and Paddling will hold its annual Learn to Row & Paddle Day on August 9, 2014. The lessons are $10 but if you WATCH THIS, you will see the promo code to for free! (Limited supply). Keep an eye out on their website HERE for the official announcement.
- Festivate (GL word alert) at the maaaaany events of Wawa Welcome America. From June 28-July 4th, there are events for everyone in celebration of Independence Day. A block party, 4th of July parade, free hoagies, and the biggie, the free Philly 4th of July Jam. Each day brings a host of activities. Find out more HERE.
- Listen to a variety of music at Penn’s Landing and The Delaware River Waterfront. Right near the water, perfect for a summer outing. Some shows, such as Live & Local, are free. Check out their CALENDAR.
- Drink beer floats at Sassafras Bar. Imagine the joy you felt as a child when you drank root beer floats. Well, this adult version might make you nostalgic! With homemade sassafras ice cream and 4 flavored beers (cherry is my favorite), you might be there for awhile. The floats return in July, so get in line. Learn more about Sassafras HERE.
- Have a picnic at….well, even as insiders, we don’t know where to send you just yet. That’s how the story of Dîner en Blanc goes, Philly’s most anticipated pop-up event. This secret-location event calls for guests to whip out their finest white threads, French-inspired meals and elegant table settings. What we can tell you is the date: August 21, 2014. To reserve your tickets and to read their FAQ’s (surely you have some questions), visit their WEBSITE.
- Witness Philly’s Naked Bike Ride. Interesting juxtaposition with Dîner en Blanc. Life’s all about balance! So…about that. Yes, people are really riding bikes. Yes, they are really naked. No, no one gets arrested. The benefits of nudity for a cause ;-). Participants join the ride to support positive body image, fuel conscious consumption and cycling advocacy. This year, it will be either September 4th, 5th or 6th. Show your support! More info HERE.
- Shop at Us*U.S. Boutique. If you like unique, local shopping, this one’s for you. Us*U.S. is a boutique/co-op of all local designers. All of which have flair and one-of-a-kind clothes. Show some indie looove! See updates on their Facebook page.
- Eat at one of the Night Markets put together by The Food Trust. Food trucks galore! The Night Markets have cultural cuisines, local cuisines, cupcake cuisines (kidding) and more. Catch one throughout the summer in various neighborhoods of Philly. See when the next one is HERE:
- Do it all at The Oval, the pop-up park in Philadelphia. Seriously, it all. Yoga, shopping, eating, sports, face-painting, movie screenings, libations….the gamut! Every summer event or need you can imagine will probably happen at The Oval. See the calendar HERE
Watch how we did 90% of the above in our web series “Global Lipstick: Trapped in Philly” HERE! 🙂
Cheers to the best season of the year!